Download our FREE smartphone app today!
English (Language & Literature)
KS3 (Years 7, 8 & 9)
Students are assessed for their ability to understand, interpret and analyse texts. Students will be given a single lesson to plan and write a response prompted by a question on either a character, relationship or theme that they are studying. Students will be provided with an extract to prompt their ideas. Class teachers mark these assessments and allow students to redraft and improve using focused feedback.
Students are assessed for their ability to write appropriately to task. If students are completing transactional piece such as letters then they will be assessed on their ability to write for purpose, audience and form. If students are writing imaginatively then they are assessed for their ability to utilise language and structure to form stories or descriptions. Students in Years 7 and 8 are provided the assessment question at the start of each term, they are then allowed to plan for ten minutes each week before writing their full response in a single lesson. Students in Year 9 are not provided the assessment ahead of time, they are expected to plan and write a full response in a single lesson to replicate the later examination process. Class teachers mark these assessments and allow students to redraft and improve using focused feedback.
- https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/subjects/z3kw2hv - KS3 BBC bitesize website for English language skills
- https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/subjects/zykdmp3 - KS3 BBC bitesize website for English literature
- https://www.doddlelearn.co.uk/app/login - KS3 homework website, students complete lessons and tests online fortnightly.
KS4 (Years 10 & 11)
Useful revision guides:
- CGP An Inspector Calls Text Guide
- CGP A Christmas Carol Text Guide
- CGP The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde Text Guide
- CGP The Merchant of Venice Text Guide
- CGP AQA Power and Conflict Anthology Revision Guide
- CGP AQA Unseen Poetry Revision Guide
- Pearson REVISE Edexcel GCSE (9-1) English Language Revision Guide
- Pearson REVISE Edexcel GCSE (9-1) English Language Revision Workbook
KS5 (Years 12 & 13)
Link: Exam Specification
Useful revision guides:
Hamlet: York Notes Advanced
Othello: York Notes Advanced
A Streetcar Named Desire: York Notes Advanced
Dracula: York Notes Advanced
The Portrait of Dorian Gray: York Notes Advanced
The Wife of Bath’s Prologue and Tale: York Notes Advanced